My sister got married last week (congratulations, by the way) and Fat Mama made (among many, MANY things/foods) the wedding cake. It was beautiful – even though Fat Mama didn’t like it, but isn’t that always the artist’s way? Hyper-critical of their own work, I mean.
And even better than being beautiful, it was also delicious!!! We've all been to weddings (90%, at least) where the cake looked great and tasted like bantha poodoo. That would never do for a Fat Family Wedding. The bottom, middle, and top layers were Fat Lita’s (my mom’s mom) classic white cake filled with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream. The other two layers were Fat Mama’s chocolate version of Fat Lita’s cake, filled with whipped peanut butter cream cheese.
Fat Hubby and I ate 6 pieces. At least. It was so good, it inspired me to start baking again when we got home. Now, I can hear Fat Girl family members pricking up their ears, thinking I’m about to reveal Lita’s recipe – I’m not.
This past weekend, I made Butter Chocolate cupcakes filled with Raspberry Mousse and topped with Chocolate Whipped Cream. Here’s THAT recipe:
The Cupcakes (makes ~48)
- 1 box devil’s food cake mix + the stuff the box calls for to make it
- 1 box golden butter cake mix + the stuff the box calls for to make it
- In a large bowl, dump in both cake mixes at once.
- Add all box-required ingredients and blend with hand mixer or in stand mixer with whisk attachment until batter lightens in color and gets poofy (almost exactly the color and consistency of a Wendy’s chocolate Frosty).
- Evenly distribute batter amongst lined cupcake pans and bake according to package directions.
- Allow to cool completely before filling and frosting.
The Filling (enough for ~48 cupcakes)
- ½ cup seedless raspberry jelly
- ½ stick of butter, softened (4 tbsp)
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- In a medium bowl, blend all ingredients with a hand mixer or a stand mixer with whip attachment until completely smooth and uniform in color.
- Place filling in a 21” pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Pipe 1-2 tbsp of filling into each cupcake.
The Frosting (enough for ~48 cupcakes)
- 1 quart Rich’s Bettercreme (or similar) Chocolate Non-Dairy Whipped Topping
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 4 tsp chocolate extract
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- If using RICH’S, follow pkg directions.
- If using whipping cream, chill bowl and beaters in freezer for 10m.
- Whip cream just until it begins to thicken, then add the extract and sugar.
- Continue whipping until soft peaks form. DO NOT over-whip, or you’ll have chocolate butter floating in chocolate buttermilk. Double Ick.
- Frost cupcakes as you desire.